Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup (recipe slightly adapted from Damn Delicious)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (we used 1 lb and it definitely was not enough!)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I just used the kind that is preminced in a jar)
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (this and the celery measurements can be done based on preference!)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta (more or less depending on how much pasta you want!)
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Season chicken chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Stir in garlic, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock, bay leaves and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, rosemary and chicken; reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste. (<- you definitely need this, but it can be done individually to each person's taste!)
Are you a soup person? What's your favorite soup?
Also, don't forget to enter the $225 Nordstrom gift card giveaway!